BRAD Banish Recycling And Disposal Program
At Banish, recycling is something that we feel very passionately about, so much so that we started the Banish Recycling and Disposal Program (BRAD) to offer an end-to-end solution for some of those hard-to-recycle household items such as blister packs, toothpaste tubes, lotion bottles, coffee pods, bread tags and SO MUCH MORE! We launched in the program in November 2020 to help Australians do just that and have been blown away by your support.
Did you know that only 4% of the plastic that has ever been made has been recycled? We're trying to grow this number significantly.
Plus, for every package you send us you'll receive a $15 voucher to spend online. Book a collection now.
What you can recycle with us
We don't discriminate which is why we're offering recycling for all brands and products not just the ones sold on Banish. Here's a list of what you can recycle via the program.
- Toothpaste tubes, floss containers and old plastic toothbrushes
- Electric toothbrush heads
- Medical ointment tubes
- Hair gel tubes and caps
- Hair paste plastic jars and caps
- Lip balm tubes
- Face soap dispensers and tubes
- Lotion bottles, tubes, dispensers, and jars
- Shaving foam tubes (no cans)
- Plastic razors and blades
- Lip gloss tubes
- Mascara tubes
- Eyeliner pencils and cases
- Eyeshadow tubes
- Concealer tubes and sticks
- Medical blister packs
- Webster Packs
- Sprays or pumps from cleaning products
- Coffee pods
- Plastic bottle top lids
- Single use coffee cups and lids
- Soy sauce fish
- Single-use cutlery and straws
- Blister Packs
- Webster Packs
- Contact lens packaging (similar to blister packs)
- Plastic bread tags
- Writing pens, highlighters, biros and markers
- Correction fluid pots and tape (empty only)
If you have any items that you are unsure about head to our FAQ page or send me an email and I can let you know if they are suitable or not, firstname.lastname@example.org
What we don't accept
Unfortunately we do not accept the following:
- Prescription bottles
- Inhalers and Asthma puffers
- Insulin pens
- Bottle top rings and spouts
- Piksters and single use floss threaders
- Metal bottle tops
- Sponges and kitchen brushes
- Aerosol cans
- Perfume bottles
- Nail polish bottles and nail polish remover bottles
- Electronic items such as blow dryers and straighteners
- Bio-medical or bio-hazardous waste including syringes
- Glue sticks, pencils, erasers, rulers and cutting implements
Who can recycle with us?
We accept waste from every state and territory in Australia, as well as all capital cities (Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Hobart, Canberra, Perth and Darwin.) We do not accept waste from countries outside of Australia as the carbon required to send them to us negates the whole process!
If you are a part of a community group, hospital or business please email email@example.com to find out about our bulk recycling options.
How to start recycling with us
1. Get collecting! Wait until you've got enough products to fill an old shoe box or compostable satchel. Once you do, it's time to get recycling.
2. Throw your products into an old box or satchel. Simply purchase a BRAD collection online for $15, this includes postage and the cost of recycling your items. Order a recycling label here.
3. When you're ready fill out the form that will be emailed to you.
4. One of our BRADies will send you a postage-paid label, place it on a box and pop into a red Australia post box.
5. Your parcel gets shipped and you can track it all the way back to us.
I have big dreams for BRAD which include sorting sessions for kids and BRAD days/events to educate more people, expanding our BRAD product range and opening up more hubs around Australia. As we grow and scale our expenses continue to increase which is why we appreciate your continued support.
We have changed our methods so you can no longer post your items directly back to us, read more here on why we changed.
How does BRAD work?
The BRAD program is solely funded by Banish, no grants, sponsorships or government assistance. We have an amazing team of volunteers who donate their time to support, sort and recycle what would be waste. By supporting Banish with your purchases and the use of your voucher you are helping to fund the program and secure BRAD's future.
What happens to the products that we recycle?
We receive your parcel, sort it into the relevant waste stream and then it is recycled. All of the waste that we collect is recycled onshore in Australia. Here are a couple of the partners that we use.
We process the following in-house at Haymarket:
- Household bottle top lids
- Single-use soy sauce fish
We partner with Australian recyclers:
- Aluminium Coffee Capsules via Nespresso
- Blister Packs via Panel Cycle
- Bread Tags via Aussie Bread Tags for Wheelchairs
- PP, HDPE and LDPE via Transmutation
- Single Use Coffee Cups via Simply Cups
And utilise Terracycle for:
- Colgate Oral Care Recycling Program
- Garnier Green Beauty Recycling Program
- Gillette Razor Recycling Program
- NESCAFE Dolce Gusto Capsule Recycling Program
- Writing Instruments Recycling Program
- Kitchen Separation Zero Waste Box
Watch the video below to find out about Terracycle's full process.
1. No wish-cycling: only send in products and items that you know can be recycled via the program. If you are unsure about a product or have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Clean and green: one of the most important things you need to do is make sure that the items your sending back to us are nice and clean. All that we asks that you empty your products out as much as possible.
3. Keep it dry: we don't want a soggy satchel ruining the post which is why it is important that everything is dry when it's posted to us. Rinse, dry then ship! If possible, please bunch similar items together. This could be placing your bread tags into a paper bag or segmenting your box with some cardboard.
4. Hazards away: These include items such as batteries, lithium-ion batteries, pressurized canisters (including aerosols), pesticides, oil-based paint or medical sharps, organics, broken glass, biomedical waste, soiled diapers, or expired medication. Do not send in anything sharp, flammable, reactive, corrosive, ignitable, radioactive, toxic, infectious, or pathogenic.
BRAD Drop Offs
In exciting news, you can now drop off your BRAD parcels! Our new Banish Sustainability Hub at Central Station in Sydney is accepting drop offs, making it even easier for Sydney locals to do their bit for the planet and learn more about recycling.
Simply purchase your $10 Pre-Paid Brad Drop Off online, or pay in-store on arrival and receive a $10 Banish voucher that can be used at any time. We recommend double checking your drop off with our BRAD Do’s and Don'ts before arrival, as drop offs have the highest level of contamination (i.e. items we don’t accept and can’t recycle!).
Drop off anytime between 9am and 5pm. You can find us at the Railway Square exit of Central Station in Sydney:
Shop 19, 2 Lee St Haymarket NSW 2000
Come in and learn how your items are recycled, and explore our brand-new Sustainability Hub and education space!
Book your BRAD Drop Off here.
Terms and conditions
To be eligible for a voucher please send in at least five items and there is a limit of 1 return per customer per calendar month.
Vouchers are not redeemable with any other offer, you can only use one voucher per order. Vouchers have a 180 day expiry period and are only valid on orders over $50.
If you have any questions head to our FAQ page or email email@example.com.