Creating good compost isn't as easy as throwing a couple of banana peels in the garden. But it's worth the extra effort as a good compost with the perfect balance and wet and dry products will create a nourishing blend that you can't even smell. So how do you do it?
What To Compost
Throw all of this in and you are good to go!
- All of your vegetable and fruit scraps (#)
- Egg shells (#)
- Tea bags and coffee grounds (%)
- Green grass clippings, weeds - without seeds (#)
- Dired lawn clippings, dried leaves and old flowers (%)
- Vaccum dust and dog hair (%)
- Newspaper, cardboard and shredded paper (%)
The perfect compo combo is 1/3 green stuff (#) that makes nitrogen to 2/3 brown stuff (%) that makes carbon, think of it like you're cooking a cake you want a good batter than ain't too soggy.
What NOT To Compost
Steer clear of adding these to your bin:
- Meat, bones, dairy and fat
- Animal manures including pet poo – let's keep it vegan
- Magazines and glossy paper
- Large branches and weeds with seeds are a no go!
- Plastic and glass
- Citrus peel
- Tea bags
You can read more about the benefits of composting here.