By Lizza Gebilagin
When I found that little white bugs (white flys) were enjoying my home grown Kale before I had a chance to I wasn't impressed! I scoured the internet to find a natural home remedy to get rid of the pests so I can enjoy my kale without bugs and nasty pesticides! And the best bit was you probably already have all of the ingredients in your cupboard!
- 1 garlic bulb – crushed
- Approx 500ml boiling water
- A dash of washing liquid
- Crush the garlic and put it into a container (I just used one of my bigger lunch containers).
- Add approx. 500ml of boiling water (I just filled my lunch container until it was almost at the top). Leave covered for around 12 hours.
- Add the garlic water to a spray bottle, discarding any of the garlic so that it won’t clog up the spray.
- Add a drop of washing liquid to the garlic water. Shake to mix.
- Spray on the leaves of your plant. I sprayed the leaves in the evening and by the morning, all the little bugs were dead.
There are heaps of variations too. You can add cayenne pepper, for example, or make a more concentrated mix. I found that 1 bulb was strong enough, my hands stunk for the rest of the day!
Lizza Gebilagin is a health and wellness writer and boxing pro! When she isn't hitting the pads, you'll find her with a long black in hand writing up a storm.