Have you ever wondered what happens to those pesky blister packs once you're done with them? Well, good news! You can recycle your blister packs with BRAD. In this article, we'll take you on a journey through the fascinating process of recycling blister packs. We'll explain how these packs are separated, what they can be transformed into, and how you can contribute to a more sustainable Sydney by recycling your blister packs. So, if you're curious about the world of recycling and want to make a positive impact, keep reading!
The Magical Separation Process
Okay, let's demystify the process of blister pack recycling. When you toss your blister packs into your BRAD box, they are separated by our team of volunteers and then sent to PanelCycle where they undergo a special treatment. They're broken down into tiny particles to separate the plastic and aluminium components. It's like a magic trick, except it's science! This separation step is crucial to ensure the effective recycling of blister packs.
Giving Plastic a New Life
Now, what happens to the plastic from blister packs? Well, brace yourself for some exciting news! Two manufacturers in Sydney are turning that recycled plastic into sustainable building materials. Yes, you read that right—bricks and blocks made from recycled plastic! These eco-friendly construction materials not only reduce the demand for new resources but also help minimise environmental impact. It's a win-win situation for both you and the planet.
Aluminium's Transformation Story
But wait, there's more! The aluminium from blister packs also gets a second chance at life. It's sent to either Weston Aluminium or MGA Thermal, where it's used in remarkable ways. MGA Thermal takes the recycled aluminium and turns it into thermal energy storage blocks. These magical blocks store thermal energy generated from renewable energy sources, making our transition to cleaner energy much smoother.
Meanwhile, Weston Aluminium uses the recycled aluminium to manufacture deoxidant pucks. These pucks play a vital role in the steelmaking process, helping create steel in a more efficient and sustainable manner. It's like giving aluminium a superhero cape!
Zero Waste, Zero Worries
Now, here's the cherry on top. When you recycle your blister packs, nothing goes to landfill. That's right—zero waste! The recycling process is designed to recover as much material as possible. Approximately 87.2% of what's recovered is plastic, while the remaining 12.8% is aluminium. It's an impressive feat that ensures we're doing our part in responsible waste management.
Congratulations! You're now a blister pack recycling expert. By learning about the recycling process and the incredible transformations that take place, you can make a real difference in Australia's sustainability efforts. So, the next time you have a blister pack in your hands, remember that it has the potential for a second life as a brick, block, thermal energy storage block, or even a deoxidant puck.
Join the recycling movement, reduce waste, and be a part of creating a more sustainable and circular economy. Recycle your hard to recycle items with BRAD and together, we can make a greener future a reality!